Sometimes back, the idea of being a professional photographer in Mumbai or specifically a wedding photographer in Mumbai, might not have appealed to many but today lots of people want to be photographers. The rise of mass communication and the growing prominence of the media and fashion is a factor which has to lead to this change of the scenario.
In this article primarily we will discuss a few aspects of pursuing professional photography in Mumbai as a source of smooth livelihood.
- Wedding photography: Indian weddings are famous worldwide for its rituals and engagement of family and friends. They are celebrated like festive occasions in India, and in most cases celebrated with extensive decorations, colors, music, dance, costumes and rituals that depend on the religion of the bride and the groom, as well as their community-based preferences. Hence, if you are a hard worker and able to shoot a wedding then you can expect even more than 70k per gigs.
- Product photography: Seems to be on a roll with everyone trying to sell their products online. A good gig with a firm will get you good remuneration and will be a steady source of cash if they have a changing set of products
- Others: There are a bit harder ways to generate income from photography but freelancing as photojournalists for magazines and online microstock are also promising opportunities available in India.
Wedding photography in Mumbai is on the rise with Neo middle class ready to spend to create Facebook and Instagram memories. It is wedding photography that is the most remunerative option these days, the demand for which is not driven by any socio-economical trend or specific pattern.
As the aspiring wedding photographer in Mumbai one also needs to be prepared for whippy working hours. During the season, one might need to work continuously for all night at a stretch till the ‘vidaai’ ceremony at 6 am and deliver all the images taken during the event in just about 48 hours to the client.
Skills that a photographer in Mumbai should have:
- Ability to manage the camera, equipment, and light
2.Knowledge of photo and video editing
- Ability to market own works
- Popularising own work on social networking sites
- Handling communication with the prospects.
- Strong professional networking skills
Eligibility to establish as professional: Anybody with an interest in photography can enter the trade. However, one needs to have a lot of energy and a knack for out-of-the-box thinking if he/she wants to make a mark in the wedding photography. One should also be open to commute long distances and work for long hours. Assignments often come with timelines, so self-discipline is very critical for success.